DescriptionCrafted to evoke the same powerful tone and sonorous projection as a pre-WWII D-28, the Martin D-28 Marquis Acoustic Guitar differs only by using the much less scarce, and therefore more affordable, Indian rosewood instead of Brazilian rosewood. Using only premium-grade solid Indian rosewood for the back and sides and a solid Adirondack spruce top, the Marquis Guitar delivers powerful sounds with scalloped Adirondack spruce braces and forward-shifted X-bracing. A special aging toner gives the wood a vintage countenance.
The list of historically accurate details, nearly overwhelming and totally exhaustive, captures the authentic spirit of the Martin D-28: mahogany blocks/dovetail neck joint construction, slot-through saddle, herringbone binding, neck dart, zipper back marquetry, ivoroid binding, herringbone top trim, Waverly butterbean tuners, and old-style wood fiber rosette.
The Martin D-28 Marquis also has a beveled and polished tortoise pickguard; ebony bridge with long saddle; modified V-shaped neck; ebony fretboard (1-3/4" nut, 25-2/5" scale) with diamond and square inlays; and fossil ivory nut, saddle, and bridgepins (with black dots).
The Martin D-28 Marquis Acoustic Guitar is a lovingly crafted Indian rosewood version of the discontinued D-28GE.
In Depth- Model: D-28 Marquis
- Construction: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top: Solid Adirondack Spruce
- Resette: Style 28
- Top Bracing Pattern: Standard "X" Scalloped (Golden Era Style), Forward Shifted
- Top Braces: Solid Adirondack Spruce 5/16"
- Back Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Back Purfling: HD Zig-Zag
- Side Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Endpiece: Grained Ivoroid
- Endpiece Inlay: Black/White Fiber
- Binding: Grained Ivoroid
- Top Inlay Style: Fine Herringbone
- Side Inlay: none
- Back Inlay: Black/Maple Fiber
- Neck Material: Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape: Modified V
- But Material: Fossilized Ivory
- Headstock: Solid/Long Diamond/Square Taper
- Headplate: Solid East Indian Rosewood /Golden Era Style
- Heelcap: Grained Ivoroid
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- # of Frets Clear: 14
- # of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-3/4"
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/4"
- Fingerboard Position Inlays: Diamonds & Squares- Long Pattern Golden Era
- Fingerboard Binding: none
- Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss
- Finish Top: Polished Gloss w/ Aging Toner
- Finish Neck: Satin
- Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: 1930s Style Belly w/ Long Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2-5/16"
- Saddle: 16" Radius/Fossilized Ivory
- Tuning Machines: Gotoh Nickel Open-Geared w/ Butterbean Knobs
- Recommended Strings: Martin Studio Performance Medium Phosphor Bronze (MSP4200)
- Bridge & End Pins: Fossilized Ivory w/ Black Dots
- Pickguard: Tortoise Color - Beveled & Polished
- Case: 545E
- Interior Label: Paper Label
Item Number: Martin D-28 Marquis - Natural [D28 Marquis ] 43459 0-0
View all Martin products