DescriptionWith the new FireWire-based Mbox 2 Pro Factory, Pro Tools LE just got even cooler! Digidesign has taken the concept of a portable, compact Pro Tools LE rig to even greater heights. It’s a powerful box that offers a great deal of flexibility and capability. Now you can choose the Mbox that’s best for you: the USB Mbox 2 or the new FireWire Mbox 2 Pro.
Digidesign’s Mbox and Mbox 2 have proven tremendously popular - not only with "entry-level" and "home" users (whatever those terms mean) but also with high-end professionals, who use the portable interfaces for editing tracks on location and on airplanes, for tracking smaller sessions, for mixing on the run, and for working on projects from home or project studios, then taking those projects into full-on Pro Tools TDM-based studios for the finishing touches. The Mbox 2 Pro raises the bar, giving you the ability to use up to four simultaneous inputs (using the S/PDIF ins and external clocking, up to six inputs!) and eight simultaneous outputs.
Flipping the Mbox 2 Pro around to check out the back panel, you’ll find a plethora of input/output options. Starting from the left you have two 1/4-inch/XLR combo mic/line inputs, then the stereo Aux Input, which offers a choice of 1/4-inch line inputs or RCA inputs for phono operation, and features a grounding lug for use with turntables. Stereo 1/4-inch monitor outputs appear next, along with four 1/4-inch line outputs. S/PDIF digital I/O on coaxial connections follows, along with line outs 5/6 (which share one jack), a footswitch jack, MIDI in and out (with time-stamping), and two FireWire ports for connecting the unit to your computer and daisy-chaining additional FireWire gear. Of special note are the word clock input and output on BNC connectors, for synchronizing the Mbox 2 Pro to the rest of your digital gear. The back panel is rounded out with a connector for the external power supply.
A big part of the Mbox 2 Pro’s appeal is the inclusion of Digidesign’s powerful Pro Tools LE software. Not only does Pro Tools LE give you as much tracking, editing, processing, and mixing power as you need to do even large projects, but you can easily open up the Pro Tools LE session in a high-end Pro Tools TDM system with all its settings and plug-ins intact. Also included is the Ignition Pack, which bundles Ableton Live Lite, Propellerhead Reason Adapted, FXpansion BFD Lite, Celemony Melodyne Uno Essential, IK Multimedia Samplitude 2 SE, Amplitube LE, and Tracks EQ, an instructional DVD, a REX file CD, and much more. For even more power, purchase the Music Production Toolkit, which takes PT LE up to 48 mono or stereo tracks, adds the multitrack Beat Detective, even more high-end plug-ins, and much more. There is a free downloadable upgrade available from Digidesign for Intel Macs.
In Depth- Moogerfooger Analog Delay
- JOEMEEK Meequalizer VC-5
- JOEMEEK SC-2 Photo Optical Compressor
- Cosmonaut Voice
- Digidesign Maxim
- Award-winning Pro Tools LE recording, editing, and mixing software
- Comprehensive Pro Tools Ignition Pack software and audio tool collection
- Professional sound quality
- Powered by FireWire* or included power supply
- Supports up to 24-bit/96 kHz resolution**
- 6 simultaneous inputs/8 simultaneous outputs
- 4 analog inputs (2 XLR/1/4" TRS combo jacks & 2 1/4" TRS jacks)
- 6 analog outputs (1/4" jacks)
- 2 instrument DI inputs on the front panel
- 2 channels of S/PDIF digital I/O (RCA)
- Built-in phono preamp input (RCA) for direct turntable connection
- 1 MIDI input and output (16 channels in/16 channels out)
- MIDI Time Stamping (MTS) support for superior timing and accuracy
- BNC Word Clock I/O
- Low-latency monitoring
- Dedicated studio monitor outputs with volume control
- 2 stereo headphone outputs with independent volume controls
- 48V phantom power for condenser microphones
* Requires 6-pin connection for power via FireWire.
** Mbox 2 Pro does not support external sync at 88.2 and 96 kHz sample rates.
Item Number: Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro Factory  42084 0-0
View all Digidesign products
View Additional Images