The PZM ® -30D is a Pressure Zone Microphone ® designed for professional recording, sound reinforcement and broadcasting. It has many applications, from miking full orchestras or individual musical instruments to security or teleconferencing. The PZM-30D has a switchable dual frequency response: rising (R) or flat (F). The "rising" position adds brilliance. This makes it useful wherever a crisp attack is desired, such as on percussion, drums, or piano. The user can get a bright sound without boosting high frequencies on the recording console; the result is lower noise. The "flat" position provides a smooth, flat, high-frequency response for natural sound reproduction. These sturdy microphones are especially reliable because they can be used with a rugged detachable cable. The output is a male 3-pin XLR-type, balanced and low impedance, which permits long cable runs without hum pickup or high-frequency loss. Like other Pressure Zone Microphones, the PZM-30D ™ utilizes the Pressure Recording Process in which a miniature condenser microphone capsule is positioned very close to a sound-reflecting plate or boundary. The capsule is mounted in the "Pressure Zone" just above the boundary, a region where sound coming directly from the sound source combines in phase with sound reflected off the boundary. The benefits are a wide, smooth frequency response free of phase interference, excellent clarity and "reach," a hemispherical polar pattern, and uncolored off-axis response. Operating Instructions The PZM-30D features self-contained electronics which allows it to plug directly into a standard 12-48 VDC phantom power supply. Crown makes an AC-powered model PH-4B supply for powering up to four PZMs. Also available is a single-channel AC/battery supply, Crown model PH-1A. For special applications, you can make your own battery supply as suggested in Fig. 3 on the reverse side. Using two-conductor shielded microphone cable, plug the microphone into a phantom power supply. Connect the power supply output to a mixer mic input, or if your mixer has phantom power built in, simply plug the PZM directly into a mixer mic input.
• Type: Pressure Zone Microphone.
• Transducer: Electret condenser.
• Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz. See Fig. 1.
• Polar pattern: Hemispherical when used on a floor, wall or ceiling.
• Open circuit sensitivity: 7 mV/Pa* (–43 dB re 1 volt/ Pa).
• Power sensitivity: –43 dB re 1 mW/Pa. EIA sensitivity –135 dBm.
• Impedance: 240 ohms, balanced.
• Recommended minimum load impedance 1000 ohms.
• Self-noise: 20 dB equivalent sound pressure level, A-weighted.
• S/N ratio: 74 dB at 94 dB SPL.
• Maximum Sound Pressure Level: 150 dB SPL at the microphone produces 3% THD.
• Polarity: Positive pressure on the diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 with respect to pin 3 of the output connector.
• Operating voltage: Phantom power, 12 to 48 volts DC, positive voltage on pins 2 and 3 with respect to pin 1 of the output connector.
• Current drain: 1.1 mA. Connector: Male 3-pin XLR-type.
• Cable: None supplied; use 2-conductor shielded microphone cable.
• Switch: Frequency-response select switch for rising or flat response.
• Color: Black. Weight: 6.5 ounces (184 grams).
• Dimensions: 6-in. x 5-in. x .75-in. (15.2 cm x 12.7 cm x 1.9 cm).
• Included accessories: PZM windscreen, carrying pouch.
• Optional accessories: PH-4B phantom power supply (4 channels, AC powered).
• PH-1A phantom power supply (1 channel, battery or AC-adapter powered).
• Low-frequency response depends on size of surface.
Crown PZM-30D [PZM30D]
Have a question about the Crown PZM-30D [PZM30D]?
Call us toll free at 1-800-878-8882.